Ley (optimistically) booked for just a week, thinking we only had to do a quick anti-foul paint job and replace some plumbing - one week, should be easy.
So now, almost three weeks later, no paint tins have even been opened, though the end is in sight.
In The Beginning
Removing the toxic underwater paint with normal electric sanding machines is not recommended.
We now use an air powered random orbital sander that allows us to sand the hull wet, without too much effort. We keep the water running over the work area and the old paint is flushed away. There is no dangerous dust, though it is still a very dirty and messy job.
Once this was done I finished polishing the topsides, a job we started back in Singapore. Then followed all the stainless bright work.
So Far So Good
Next Ley tackled the brass-ware - aka cleaning the propeller ready for the new paint system.
All was moving along quite smoothly until our neighbour Eddie said - "gee, you've got a bit of movement in that P-strut bearing". Sure enough that bearing was badly worn - 10 years and almost 3000 hours of motoring will do that. We ordered a new bearing from Australia, started to disassemble the drive train and the real fun began (click the link below).